Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A pissed off ride through the Kingdom of Anerobia

I'll admit it. I was completely frustrated to the point of being aggressively pissed off yesterday afternoon. I felt like the only guy who could see in the land of the blind in one meeting, frustrated by a conference call, frustrated by not being able to move the needle on my weight and the list went on.

I didn't ride Monday because I was still tired of riding in the rain from Sunday. That had me pumped up to start, then all the frustration and angst over the day lit the fuse. I could very clearly hear the HPL coordinator in my ears, "we joke that we could develop everyone into world class athletes if we could cut their heads off." Meaning, my head was telling me maybe I should have ridden a recovery ride yesterday, but instead I went out to kill it.

I hit the road about 5:15 glad it was day light savings time, because I was sure I needed close to two hours of hard riding to clear my head. I hit the pedals and took off hard from start to finish on a route with some decent rolling hills but also some spots to go for pure speed.

The numbers of my ride told an interesting tale. I had gone 33+ miles over rolling hills at the exact same average speed as my first time trial race Sunday-18.7 mph. I'll admit I was pushing myself really hard to beat the pissed off out of me. I guess you can use anger to push performance. Lance sure did.

I got home at dark tired physically, but more energized mentally and much more calm. I made some decisions while I was riding about some critical things in my world. That's probably a good thing and we'll see how it plays out in the next few weeks. I got home more human, more relaxed and less likely to detonate around the people I love. I even sat down with the family to watch American Idol without saying a word. All of my missions were accomplished on my pissed off ride through the Kingdom of Anerobia.

No comments:

Post a Comment