Sunday, March 1, 2009

Rain rides prior to March's Lion-like Start

Weather in eastern North Carolina can be unstable and volatile to say the least. Earlier in the last week of February saw temperatures in the low to mid 60's. Today, Sunday March 1st we're expecting 2-4 inches of snow, sleet and ice. I think every parent in the area is expecting to have kids at home tomorrow. What about next week? Monday should be in the 30's and the temperatures should rise about 10 degrees a day through next weekend. In like a lion, progressing like a lamb.

I started the weekend looking forward to being alone for 48 hours with the kids being away and Deborah taking our oldest to Myrtle Beach for a soccer tournament. I even planned a 90 mile plus ride for the occasion. I knew I would have to mount a stuffed animal rescue trip to Greensboro, and I had Girl Scout cookie booth duty on Sunday, but I couldn't wait! Make plans and God laughs. I gave Him plenty to chuckle at this weekend.

Friday was in the mid 50's and I watched all afternoon as a wall of water move from west to east. I went home for lunch to fill my Rocket Bottles (love these things!) lay out my clothes, and top off my tires. I was ready! All I would need to do is get home change and roll. With all that preparation, I was determined to go regardless of the rain. The rain broke until about half way through my ride the rain came back. I didn't care!

My replacement Garmin had arrived, but I decided to roll rather than diddle with the settings. That would wait. It was a great ride. My pedal strokes seemed to be effortlessly transferring power to the bike. As the sun set and the light was disappearing, I returned home feeling great. My clothes were damp, but my legs felt great!

I got up on Saturday to the sound of a steady rain. There was a chance that it would let up. At least that's what the weather geniuses had said. It was 55 degrees outside, but heavily raining.

Ok time to mount the teddy bear (Beary) and penquin (Penny) rescue and recovery effort. The trip to Greensboro was 2 1/2 hours round trip including the stop at the hotel to get the animals. Normally, I wouldn't blow a tank of gas to get any stuffed animal, but Beary was special. He's the animal that made it ok for my youngest daughter to come stay with me when I separated from her mother. Kendall said she missed Beary with a tone of saddness at something special that was missing. That was enough for me. I was going to go get Beary if at all possible.

I got back at 3:30 and the rain had let up a decent amount, but the temperature dropped 10 degrees. I said to heck with it, I'm going. I geared up with my my Windstopper gear and the rain jacket my wife got me for Christmas. I wanted to go at least 20 miles so I knew I would be cold and soaked at the end, but I wanted to hold it off as long as I could.

The first 5 miles or so were easy. The wind was whipping and the rain stung, but the rest of my body was in good shape. The rain started seeping into my shoes slowly, but noticeably. Hmm, why was that happening. I had neoprene shoe covers. Damn, I forgot to put some plastic on the inside of my shoes to cover the vents. Note to self: next year get winter shoes for riding. For the next several miles the warmth of my feet kept up with the water coming in, so it wasn't too bad.

I noticed my shins were the next to be soaked and get cold. I was trying to stay out of puddles, but the water was being flipped up everywhere. Now I understood why the rain jacket had a flap that dropped off the back and below the saddle. Detachable fenders might be a good investment too.

I made a concious effort to drink at stop lights. I noticed my speed and comfort actually got better into the ride. My legs were warm and my speed picked up. Then the next weak link started to be a problem-my hands. I had Windstopper gloves and liners that kept them warm, but they weren't waterproof. Third note to self: Warm waterproof gloves would be another good investment.

I made a decision to turn back at the 10 mile mark. I stopped for a drink and to put something in my stomach. I noticed that my index and middle fingers were the coldest probably because they were the ones in the wind the most. The gloves weren't soaked through yet, but they were close.

Ok, it wasn't getting any warmer, so I headed back. My hands were completely frozen by the 14 mile mark and my thighs where wet to the skin too. I started watching the Garmin more often to check the distance ridden and picked up speed towards home.

I walked in the door and all I wanted to do was get all my wet clothes off. I got most of the clothes off and my hands in my warmest gloves to warm them up naturally and slowly. I waited on a shower until my hands and feet were nearly normal.

I felt great about going out in the wet and cold to do a decent ride-19.75 miles at about 15 miles an hour. It wasn't like stages in the Tour of California where riding in conditions worse than that for over a 100 miles seem to happen every year. The next two days are going to be icy with snow, so it looks like it will be time on the trainer.

No comments:

Post a Comment